Consolidated Vultee XB-46 "Needle" Book
Regular price $22.95 Sale price
- Air Force Legends #221: Consolidated Vultee XB-46 Needle Book.
- The Consolidated Vultee (Convair) XB-46 jet-powered medium bomber was first developed by the USAAF in 1945. Although the XB-46 bomber never went into production, it became the first all-pneumatic aircraft, using pneumatics to operate landing gear, brakes, and bomb bay doors. This Cold War-era aircraft's biggest legacy was its unique beauty!
- The Consolidated Vultee (Convair) XB-46 was a four-jet medium bomber built to a 1944 USAAF requirement. It was the largest of the four different bombers built to this requirement. The other three were the North American XB-45, the Boeing XB-47 and the Martin XB-48. The winner of the competition was the XB-45, but Boeing was allowed to continue development of their offering with swept wings. Because of this, only one XB-46 was built. It was to be the first all-pneumatic aircraft built with pneumatics operating the landing gear, brakes, and bomb bay doors. This system was highly successful as it saved a lot of weight and allow the quickest activation of landing gear and bomb bay doors seen to that date. The first flight was on April 2, 1947 and the aircraft was utilized until November 1950. The aircraft's biggest legacy was its beauty!
- Pages: 64
- Size: 8.5 X 11 (inches)
- Format: Paperback
- Illustrations: 115 b/w, 4 color
- Publisher: Steve Ginter
- ISBN: 9780996825849
- Product Code: GB584
- This item ships 1 day or less.
- In Stock
- Fast Same Day Shipping!
- Free Shipping on Orders over $50.00 USD!
- 14 Day Return Policy at the time of order. A full refund will be made of the total cost of the item. Return of item/items is appreciated.
- All orders are generally shipped the same day of order!
- Shipping Rate Costs include the price for the carrier, time spent packaging, and packaging material used to ship the products.
- All Orders will be shipped via USPS Mail. Large or heavier items may be Shipped via UPS.
Free Shipping on Orders over $50.00 USD.
0.1 to 0.9lb = $5.95 USD
1.0 to 1.9lb = $10.95 USD
2.0 to 2.9lb = $12.95 USD
3.0 to 4.0lb = $19.95 USD