Naval Fighters: "Able Mabel" Martin AM-1/1Q Mauler Book
- GIN111 Navel Fighters: "Able Mabel", Martin AM-1/1Q Mauler Book.
- (Navel Fighters Number 111)
- The Martin Am Mauler was Martin's attempt at competing with Douglas's AD Skyraider. A much bigger aircraft, the AM Mauler was more powerful and could carry a heavier payload then the Douglas Skyraider. But problems arose that cut the Martin Mauler production run short. Never before seen photographs and technical data on the forgotten Martin Am Mauler.
- Nicknamed the "Awful Monster" because of its less-than-perfect landing tendencies and maintenance problems, the Martin AM Mauler wasn't operational for long. It's design, development, and operational history is highlighted in this book.
"Able Mabel", the Martin AM-1/1Q Mauler, was the product of a 1943 Navy contract for two prototype bomber torpedo (BT) planes. Two other contractors, Curtiss and Fleetwings also received prototype contracts. In 1944 after the testing of these prototypes and a new entry the Douglas Skyraider, the Navy placed production orders for the Martin Mauler and the Douglas Skyraider. Even though the Skyraider proved more suitable for carrier operations, 139 AM-1s and 18 AM-1Qs were produced and served with five attack squadrons and one composite squadron before being relegated to the reserves. With its huge R-4360-4W 28-cylinder 3,000 BHP engine, the Mauler performed like a fighter and had the power to out lift any other single engine aircraft in the world at the time. In addition to its heavy-lift capabilities (10,648 lbs. of fuel, 4-20mm guns with ammo, 3 torpedos and 12-250 lb. bombs) the unique finger-type dive brakes on the AM-1 gave it extremely accurate and rock-steady dive bombing performance deemed best in the world by navy test pilots. Its awesome performance made it a challenge at times particularly around the boat and earned it the enduring nickname of "Awful Monster".
Size: 8.5 X 11 (inches)
Illustrations: 326 b/w & 4 color photos, 48 drawings, 15 insignias
Publisher: Steve Ginter
Product Code: GB84
"Backed by a treasure trove of illustrations, it will undoubtedly prove a useful reference source for modelers and anyone interested in naval aviation."
"Hundreds of b/w & color photos, detail shots, tech-manual excerpts, scale drawings, and unit badges augment the account. You'll find eye candy everywhere. Now find your way to this splendid study. Get Able Mable."
- Fast Same Day Shipping!
- Free Shipping on Orders over $50.00 USD!
- 14 Day Return Policy at the time of order. A full refund will be made of the total cost of the item. Return of item/items is appreciated.
- All orders are generally shipped the same day of order!
- Shipping Rate Costs include the price for the carrier, time spent packaging, and packaging material used to ship the products.
- All Orders will be shipped via USPS Mail. Large or heavier items may be Shipped via UPS.
Free Shipping on Orders over $50.00 USD.
0.1 to 0.9lb = $5.95 USD
1.0 to 1.9lb = $10.95 USD
2.0 to 2.9lb = $12.95 USD
3.0 to 4.0lb = $19.95 USD